Re: SPI logo?

Lists: spi-general
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: SPI logo?
Date: 2005-03-24 22:37:49
Lists: spi-general

Hi,

We've received a request from the Free Standards Group for a vector
graphic file representing the SPI logo. The closest thing we have to a
logo is the graphic on the website. I'm suspecting it was made with
Gimp, and thus the only thing we have, but perhaps someone can correct
me?

Thanks,
John

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: SPI logo?
Date: 2005-03-25 12:27:14
Lists: spi-general

Previously John Goerzen wrote:
> We've received a request from the Free Standards Group for a vector
> graphic file representing the SPI logo.

Basically SPI has no logo. There is the completely awful gimped 'SPI'
thing on the website but that should disappear as soon as possible.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net> It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/ It is hard to make things simple.

From: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2005-03-26 04:19:50
Lists: spi-general

Let's face facts. That logo sucks.

I still have this thing I started for the annual report. It could use some
spit and polish but its at least an improvement over the 80's chrome
thing-a-ma-bob that currently haunts the SPI site.

The typeface is also DFSG free, which is a bonus.

If you want, I can break it out and try to touch it up a little.

See link:

http://www.eanschuessler.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SPIRedesign

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean(at)brainfood(dot)com

From: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2005-03-29 02:19:26
Lists: spi-general

On Thursday 24 March 2005 4:37 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> We've received a request from the Free Standards Group for a vector
> graphic file representing the SPI logo. The closest thing we have to a
> logo is the graphic on the website. I'm suspecting it was made with
> Gimp, and thus the only thing we have, but perhaps someone can correct
> me?

I worked on an umbrella logo a little more. You can check it out at:

http://www.eanschuessler.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SPIRedesign

Get "logos.pdf". Its a sort of abstracted black and white umbrella. The black
and white is supposed to represent binary data. It's a little weird because
SPI is being sheltered by software instead of vice-versa but you can't have
everything make sense.

~Ean

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean(at)brainfood(dot)com

From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
To: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2005-03-29 19:05:13
Lists: spi-general

Looks nice to me, but somehow the two halves of the umbrella keep
reminding me of telephones and AT&T. No idea why...

From: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2005-03-29 22:38:51
Lists: spi-general

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 1:05 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> Looks nice to me, but somehow the two halves of the umbrella keep
> reminding me of telephones and AT&T. No idea why...

Is that a bad thing? They look kind of "lightning bolty" to me. I'm thinking
about making the umbrella a little more flattened out to enhance that effect.

Wichert thinks the standalone umbrella looks better than the one embedded in a
circle. I agree. So, I'll comp up some more variants on the standalone.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean(at)brainfood(dot)com

From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen(at)complete(dot)org>
To: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2005-03-29 22:50:09
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 04:38:51PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 1:05 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Looks nice to me, but somehow the two halves of the umbrella keep
> > reminding me of telephones and AT&T. No idea why...
>
> Is that a bad thing? They look kind of "lightning bolty" to me. I'm thinking
> about making the umbrella a little more flattened out to enhance that effect.

Not necessarily. Just saying.

> Wichert thinks the standalone umbrella looks better than the one embedded in a
> circle. I agree. So, I'll comp up some more variants on the standalone.

I agree. Thanks.

-- John

From: Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo(at)debian(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2005-03-30 21:01:29
Lists: spi-general

El mar, 29-03-2005 a las 16:38 -0600, Ean Schuessler escribió:
> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 1:05 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> > Looks nice to me, but somehow the two halves of the umbrella keep
> > reminding me of telephones and AT&T. No idea why...

Well, the first thing I thought about was... "The Umbrella Corporation"
from Resident Evil!

> Is that a bad thing? They look kind of "lightning bolty" to me. I'm thinking
> about making the umbrella a little more flattened out to enhance that effect.
>
> Wichert thinks the standalone umbrella looks better than the one embedded in a
> circle. I agree. So, I'll comp up some more variants on the standalone.

Yes, the standalone one looks much better...

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
jsogo(at)debian(dot)org