Re: debian.eu domain?

Lists: spi-general
From: Steve McIntyre <steve(at)einval(dot)com>
To: "J(dot)A(dot) Bezemer" <j(dot)a(dot)bezemer(at)opensourcepartners(dot)nl>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: debian.eu domain?
Date: 2006-04-10 13:45:44
Lists: spi-general

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:41:29PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Prompted by a Slashdot article, I noticed that the debian.eu domain was
>only "pre-claimed" by some Spaniard, but that application has expired.
>To prevent it from becoming publically available in some 40 days, it may
>still be possible to apply under Sunrise rules claiming prior rights.
>Since that is relatively straightforward for a European institution having
>"Debian" in its name, it seems to me that this could very well be a task
>for the Debian UK Society. Unless, of course, you already thought about it
>and rejected the idea ;-)

Hi Anne,

It's not something that I'd really thought about, to be honest.
Personally, I'm not a great fan of the "let's take every possible
domain" idea, it must be said. However, SPI normally hold all the
Debian domains and trademarks, so it's probably a decision for SPI to
make. Forwarding it there for discussion...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve(at)einval(dot)com
Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,

From: Sven Luther <sven(dot)luther(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Steve McIntyre <steve(at)einval(dot)com>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, "J(dot)A(dot) Bezemer" <j(dot)a(dot)bezemer(at)opensourcepartners(dot)nl>
Date: 2006-04-10 15:17:50
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 02:45:44PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:41:29PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> >
> >Hi!
> >
> >Prompted by a Slashdot article, I noticed that the debian.eu domain was
> >only "pre-claimed" by some Spaniard, but that application has expired.
> >To prevent it from becoming publically available in some 40 days, it may
> >still be possible to apply under Sunrise rules claiming prior rights.
> >Since that is relatively straightforward for a European institution having
> >"Debian" in its name, it seems to me that this could very well be a task
> >for the Debian UK Society. Unless, of course, you already thought about it
> >and rejected the idea ;-)
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> It's not something that I'd really thought about, to be honest.
> Personally, I'm not a great fan of the "let's take every possible
> domain" idea, it must be said. However, SPI normally hold all the
> Debian domains and trademarks, so it's probably a decision for SPI to
> make. Forwarding it there for discussion...

I believe though that SPI is not allowed to hold a .eu domain.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

From: David Moreno Garza <damog(at)damog(dot)net>
To: Sven Luther <sven(dot)luther(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Cc: "J(dot)A(dot) Bezemer" <j(dot)a(dot)bezemer(at)opensourcepartners(dot)nl>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, Steve McIntyre <steve(at)einval(dot)com>
Date: 2006-04-10 19:12:14
Lists: spi-general

Sven Luther wrote:
> I believe though that SPI is not allowed to hold a .eu domain.

Probably ffis instead?

--
David Moreno Garza <damog(at)damog(dot)net> | http://www.damog.net/
<damog(at)debian(dot)org> | GPG: C671257D

From: Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo(at)debian(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: junta(at)debian(dot)org(dot)es
Date: 2006-04-10 19:29:47
Lists: spi-general

El lun, 10-04-2006 a las 14:45 +0100, Steve McIntyre escribió:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:41:29PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> >
> >Hi!
> >
> >Prompted by a Slashdot article, I noticed that the debian.eu domain was
> >only "pre-claimed" by some Spaniard, but that application has expired.
> >To prevent it from becoming publically available in some 40 days, it may
> >still be possible to apply under Sunrise rules claiming prior rights.
> >Since that is relatively straightforward for a European institution having
> >"Debian" in its name, it seems to me that this could very well be a task
> >for the Debian UK Society. Unless, of course, you already thought about it
> >and rejected the idea ;-)
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> It's not something that I'd really thought about, to be honest.
> Personally, I'm not a great fan of the "let's take every possible
> domain" idea, it must be said. However, SPI normally hold all the
> Debian domains and trademarks, so it's probably a decision for SPI to
> make. Forwarding it there for discussion...

CCing also Debian Spain. I am not sure who (and don't know how to do
that) has pre-claimed it, but I would like to check it is not the same
person that has Debian trademark registered in Spain, and that has not
have it on behalf od SPI but for his own purposes.

Cheers,

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
jsogo(at)debian(dot)org

From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs(at)computer(dot)org>
To: Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, junta(at)debian(dot)org(dot)es
Subject: Re: [Junta] Re: debian.eu domain?
Date: 2006-05-08 15:20:37
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:29:47PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El lun, 10-04-2006 a las 14:45 +0100, Steve McIntyre escribió:
>
> CCing also Debian Spain. I am not sure who (and don't know how to do
> that) has pre-claimed it, but I would like to check it is not the same
> person that has Debian trademark registered in Spain, and that has not
> have it on behalf od SPI but for his own purposes.

What was the name of the Spaniard that registered it?

Javier

From: "J(dot) Javier Maestro" <jjmaestro(at)computer(dot)org>
To: junta(at)debian(dot)org(dot)es
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2006-05-08 17:19:06
Lists: spi-general

Hi all,

Here is some info on the guy that registered the EU domain:

First,

jjmaestro(at)nias:~$ whois -F -h whois.eu debian.eu
(...)
Domain: debian

So, the application is *not* complete. This is good :)

Then, checking the web-based whois (http://www.whois.eu), it shows the
following (see attached PDF for a mode detailed printout)

Position Applied Applicant Status
1 07/02/2006 Gomez Vergara Jose Maria Expired
11:36:49.236

So, the application has expired. Even better 8)

Clicking on the magnifying glass icon to see further details on the
application... (also attached in a PDF document)

Application Details

Application:

Domain Name debian
Applied 07/02/2006
11:36:49.236
Prior Right Other
Prior Right Country Spain
Prior Right on debian

Applicant:
Name Gomez Vergara, Jose Maria
Language English
Address C/Castilla 20
29007 Malaga
Spain
Phone +34.64996548
Email josemaria(at)kanbilibit(dot)com

(...)

Now, tracking this guy:

- http://www.kanbilibit.com/ (warning, the website resizes the
browser!) is a clinic based in Barcelona, Madrid. I guess J. Maria
works there as IT...

- Google gives us a nice cache page with info from this guy:

search: jose maria gomez vergara kanbilibit

Fom this page, we get his "login" name, jmgv, and another google
with debian jmgv shows us that the guy is/wants to be a Debian
Devel:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/01/msg00039.html

- From the Google cached page, we can get his full mobile phone (the
whois verson is missing the last digit): +34 649.965.484

All in all, the application is expired, and I think SPI, if wanted/needed,
could apply and get the domain.

My 2 EU-cents :D

--
.''`.
: :' : J. Javier Maestro

From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs(at)computer(dot)org>
To: "J(dot) Javier Maestro" <jjmaestro(at)computer(dot)org>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, junta(at)debian(dot)org(dot)es
Date: 2006-05-08 17:57:10
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:19:06PM +0200, J. Javier Maestro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is some info on the guy that registered the EU domain:
(..)

> Position Applied Applicant Status
> 1 07/02/2006 Gomez Vergara Jose Maria Expired

Name doesn't ring a bell. He's definitely not the same one that registered
the 'Debian' trademark in Spain.

Regards

Javier

From: Sven Luther <sven(dot)luther(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs(at)computer(dot)org>
Cc: "J(dot) Javier Maestro" <jjmaestro(at)computer(dot)org>, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, junta(at)debian(dot)org(dot)es
Date: 2006-05-08 18:02:15
Lists: spi-general

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:57:10PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:19:06PM +0200, J. Javier Maestro wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is some info on the guy that registered the EU domain:
> (..)
>

> > Position Applied Applicant Status
> > 1 07/02/2006 Gomez Vergara Jose Maria Expired
>
> Name doesn't ring a bell. He's definitely not the same one that registered
> the 'Debian' trademark in Spain.

Notice that the status is expired, which means the application was rejected
probably.

Furthermore, given the way the .eu allocation process is done, we can claim
the domain even if someone other did. We clearly have better prior claim right
than anyone else who would do so.

So, who would do the claim ? ffis ? spi ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

From: David Martínez Moreno <ender(at)debian(dot)org>
To: junta(at)debian(dot)org(dot)es
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2006-05-09 09:08:13
Lists: spi-general

El lunes, 8 de mayo de 2006 19:19, J. Javier Maestro escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is some info on the guy that registered the EU domain:
[...]
> Then, checking the web-based whois (http://www.whois.eu), it shows the
> following (see attached PDF for a mode detailed printout)
>
> Position Applied Applicant Status
> 1 07/02/2006 Gomez Vergara Jose Maria Expired
> 11:36:49.236

I know this guy, since I met him. I am helping him with some packages from
time to time as he wants to enter Debian. Also he worked in the same
newspaper I work in (El Mundo). :-)

Regards,

Ender.
--
- If my grandfather Everglot were to see this, he'd be rolling in his grave!
- Finnis...where do you keep the spirits? [shakes wine glass]