Re: Enquiry re joining the SPI

Lists: spi-general
From: Toby Collett <tcollett+lists(at)plan9(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Enquiry re joining the SPI
Date: 2007-11-23 08:29:54
Lists: spi-general

Hi,
I am a developer with the Player Project (playerstage.sf.net), an open
source robotics framework. We are looking to move the project forward in
terms of its organisational structure and I have had many recommendation
against forming our own 'foundation' or legal entity for these purposes
citing time, cost and other complications. The logical alternative would
be for the project to join something along the lines of the SPI.

The player project has been in existence for several years now and has a
codebase that is widely used amoung research and academic facilities and
increasingly in commercial projects. The developers are of course
committed to open source, the core libraries are licensed under the LGPL
and the utilities and simulators are licensed under the GPL.

Does this sound like a project that would fit with SPI, and if so what
are the steps to becoming a member project?

Regards,
Toby Collett

From: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>
To: tcollett+lists(at)plan9(dot)net(dot)nz, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enquiry re joining the SPI
Date: 2007-11-26 10:47:40
Lists: spi-general

Toby Collett <tcollett+lists(at)plan9(dot)net(dot)nz> wrote:
> I am a developer with the Player Project (playerstage.sf.net), [...]
> Does this sound like a project that would fit with SPI, and if so what
> are the steps to becoming a member project?

I think it sounds like a fine project.

In short, your community needs to pick someone who will be its liaison
to SPI. Here is an unofficial HOWTO:
http://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/associated-project-howto.html

As far as I know, SPI does not have member projects. It has
associated projects. As I understand it, supporting a project is a
unilateral decision of SPI (but not one that would usually happen
without the project's support) and the vote should state who/what SPI
recognises as the decision-makers of that project, as in
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2007-06-18-iwj.2.html
which references the most recent Associated Project Framework
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004-08-10-iwj.1

Note I'm just another contributing member, not official for SPI.

Hope that helps,

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: MJ Ray <mjr(at)phonecoop(dot)coop>
Date: 2007-11-27 17:01:16
Lists: spi-general

MJ,

> Note I'm just another contributing member, not official for SPI.

You may not be, but you know the "new org" drill very well.

--
Josh Berkus
Board Member

From: "Toby Collett" <tcollett+lists(at)plan9(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2007-11-27 19:34:20
Lists: spi-general

Hi thanks for the pointers, I will start down that process shortly.

--
This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged
and/or confidential information