Re: Status of purcel

Lists: spi-general
From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Status of purcel
Date: 2003-02-25 08:58:29
Lists: spi-general

With my admin(at)spi-inc(dot)org hat on:

I think we need to look at our current hosting setup. Purcel just ran
out of diskspace again, and the T1 it is hosted on is beginning to
become somewhat uncomfortable (not that we fill it ourselves, but we
share it with Brainfood).

It would be great if could manage a second box somewhere where we can
host things like Fresco and other projects.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net> http://www.wiggy.net/
A random hacker

From: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
To: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status of purcel
Date: 2003-02-25 17:19:50
Lists: spi-general

Let me see if I have a spare rackmount. Getting it on the other side of
the T1 will take care of the bandwidth. Maybe it can get a drive upgrade
at the same time.

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 02:58, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> With my admin(at)spi-inc(dot)org hat on:
>
> I think we need to look at our current hosting setup. Purcel just ran
> out of diskspace again, and the T1 it is hosted on is beginning to
> become somewhat uncomfortable (not that we fill it ourselves, but we
> share it with Brainfood).
>
> It would be great if could manage a second box somewhere where we can
> host things like Fresco and other projects.

Ean Schuessler ean(at)brainfood(dot)com
Brainfood, Inc. http://www.brainfood.com

From: Josip Rodin <joy(at)gkvk(dot)hr>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-25 19:25:04
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:19:50AM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> Let me see if I have a spare rackmount. Getting it on the other side of
> the T1 will take care of the bandwidth. Maybe it can get a drive upgrade
> at the same time.

I was almost sure that one of you Brainfoodites will reply like this, you
guys are incredible... :)

This will not fix the real problem wiggy was pointing out: that purcel is a
single point of failure for us (as in SPI) and increasingly a burden on you
(as in Brainfood). It would have been a good idea to get another machine at
another place even if purcel was absolutely perfect.

--
2. That which causes joy or happiness.

From: Ean Schuessler <ean(at)brainfood(dot)com>
To: Josip Rodin <joy(at)gkvk(dot)hr>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-25 22:28:22
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 13:25, Josip Rodin wrote:
> I was almost sure that one of you Brainfoodites will reply like this, you
> guys are incredible... :)

Hey, we try. :)

> This will not fix the real problem wiggy was pointing out: that purcel is a
> single point of failure for us (as in SPI) and increasingly a burden on you
> (as in Brainfood). It would have been a good idea to get another machine at
> another place even if purcel was absolutely perfect.

Oh, well sure. I was just looking at things I could get done
immediately.

Hey! Somebody donate a machine and some bandwidth!

Ean Schuessler ean(at)brainfood(dot)com
Chief Technology Officer 214-720-0700 x 315
Brainfood, Inc. http://www.brainfood.com

From: Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer <branden+spi-treasurer(at)deadbeast(dot)net>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-27 14:16:31
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:28:22PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 13:25, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > I was almost sure that one of you Brainfoodites will reply like this, you
> > guys are incredible... :)
>
> Hey, we try. :)
>
> > This will not fix the real problem wiggy was pointing out: that purcel is a
> > single point of failure for us (as in SPI) and increasingly a burden on you
> > (as in Brainfood). It would have been a good idea to get another machine at
> > another place even if purcel was absolutely perfect.
>
> Oh, well sure. I was just looking at things I could get done
> immediately.
>
> Hey! Somebody donate a machine and some bandwidth!

If nobody comes forward soon, I suggest we take Ean up on his offer.

--
G. Branden Robinson, Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

From: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-28 11:08:43
Lists: spi-general

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:58:29AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> With my admin(at)spi-inc(dot)org hat on:
>
> I think we need to look at our current hosting setup. Purcel just ran
> out of diskspace again, and the T1 it is hosted on is beginning to
> become somewhat uncomfortable (not that we fill it ourselves, but we
> share it with Brainfood).
>
> It would be great if could manage a second box somewhere where we can
> host things like Fresco and other projects.

Do you have any details on current bandwidth usage? I might be able to
help out with hosting in the UK, but would need to know what I'm letting
myself in for first. :) It'd also assume you can get a box to host.

J.

--
/------------------------------------\
| I drank what?!? - Socrates |

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-28 11:17:32
Lists: spi-general

Jonathan McDowell writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> Do you have any details on current bandwidth usage? I might be able to
> help out with hosting in the UK, but would need to know what I'm letting
> myself in for first. :) It'd also assume you can get a box to host.

I may well have a suitable machine, depending on what's required.

Ian.

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-28 12:09:04
Lists: spi-general

Previously Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> Do you have any details on current bandwidth usage? I might be able to
> help out with hosting in the UK, but would need to know what I'm letting
> myself in for first. :) It'd also assume you can get a box to host.

You can see the current bandwidth usage at
http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cricket/grapher.cgi

Wichert.

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-28 12:13:45
Lists: spi-general

Wichert Akkerman writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> You can see the current bandwidth usage at
> http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cricket/grapher.cgi

403 Forbidden.

And, what kind of machine is it at the moment and how heavily used is
it ?

Ian.

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-28 12:24:21
Lists: spi-general

Ok, how about http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cgi-bin/cricket/grapher.cgi

> And, what kind of machine is it at the moment and how heavily used is
> it ?

You can see the usage on the cricket graphs. It is a pII-350 with 128mb
of memory and a 4gb SCSI disk. The main bottlenecks are memory and
diskspace.

Wichert.

From: Pierre Machard <pmachard(at)tuxfamily(dot)org>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-02-28 12:26:20
Lists: spi-general

Le vendredi 28 février 2003 à 12:13 +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Wichert Akkerman writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> > You can see the current bandwidth usage at
> > http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cricket/grapher.cgi
>
> 403 Forbidden.

The correct url is :

http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cgi-bin/cricket/grapher.cgi

Cheers,
--
Pierre Machard
<pmachard(at)tuxfamily(dot)org> TuxFamily.org

From: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-06 23:20:52
Lists: spi-general

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:09:04PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > Do you have any details on current bandwidth usage? I might be able to
> > help out with hosting in the UK, but would need to know what I'm letting
> > myself in for first. :) It'd also assume you can get a box to host.
>
> You can see the current bandwidth usage at
> http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cgi-bin/cricket/grapher.cgi

It looks like average usage is under 100kbit/s (ie < 30GB/month), which
is managable. Is it still something that would be of use to SPI? I'm not
quite sure what role purcel serves at present other than hosting the
website and mailing lists?

J.

--
"Time for bed" said Zebedee. "Yours or mine" said Florence.

From: Josip Rodin <joy(at)srce(dot)hr>
To: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-06 23:36:47
Lists: spi-general

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:20:52PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > > Do you have any details on current bandwidth usage? I might be able to
> > > help out with hosting in the UK, but would need to know what I'm letting
> > > myself in for first. :) It'd also assume you can get a box to host.
> >
> > You can see the current bandwidth usage at
> > http://purcel.spi-inc.org/cgi-bin/cricket/grapher.cgi
>
> It looks like average usage is under 100kbit/s (ie < 30GB/month), which
> is managable. Is it still something that would be of use to SPI? I'm not
> quite sure what role purcel serves at present other than hosting the
> website and mailing lists?

It currently does various stuff for Fresco, and I'm sure other projects
would be happy to use any more resources we had.

--
2. That which causes joy or happiness.

From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
To: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-07 08:55:00
Lists: spi-general

Previously Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> It looks like average usage is under 100kbit/s (ie < 30GB/month), which
> is managable. Is it still something that would be of use to SPI?

It would certainly be useful to us.

> I'm not quite sure what role purcel serves at present other than
> hosting the website and mailing lists?

purcel hosts SPI itself, as well as a few other things: Fresco,
maybe kgi+ggi soonish. Nothing really big or traffic consuming.

Wichert.

From: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-09 01:44:31
Lists: spi-general

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:55:00AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > It looks like average usage is under 100kbit/s (ie < 30GB/month), which
> > is managable. Is it still something that would be of use to SPI?
> It would certainly be useful to us.

In that case I can't see a problem with offering the services of Black
Cat Networks with regard to hosting a machine for you, if one is
available (which Ian seems to suggest it might be).

J.

--
101 things you can't have too much | Black Cat Networks Ltd
of : 12 - Volume. | http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-10 13:31:11
Lists: spi-general

Wichert Akkerman writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> You can see the usage on the cricket graphs. It is a pII-350 with 128mb
> of memory and a 4gb SCSI disk. The main bottlenecks are memory and
> diskspace.

The spare machine I have is a K6-II 350 with 128Mb of RAM. It doesn't
have any disk (that got cannibalised for something else). It's
currently in a 10-year-old full tower case, but I have a spare mini
tower somewhere I think, but we're not talking 1U here.

I'm not sure if that machine, with the addition of a random disk,
would be able to take the load. Do you want two machines ? You could
put the heavy work on one and leave the other to do the light work
quickly.

Ian.

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Wichert Akkerman <wichert(at)wiggy(dot)net>, board(at)spi-inc(dot)org, spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-12 11:47:18
Lists: spi-general

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> The spare machine I have is a K6-II 350 with 128Mb of RAM. It doesn't
> have any disk (that got cannibalised for something else). It's
> currently in a 10-year-old full tower case, but I have a spare mini
> tower somewhere I think, but we're not talking 1U here.
>
> I'm not sure if that machine, with the addition of a random disk,
> would be able to take the load. [...]

Can I have a decision ? If you don't want it I have another potential
home, and I want to get it out of the way.

(Also, NB that I don't have much time to do the necessary fiddling
about with it. It would help if a volunteer in Cambridge could be
found to do the case transplant, hard disk install, etc.)

Ian.

From: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
To: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org
Cc: board(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-12 21:04:32
Lists: spi-general

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:47:18AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> > The spare machine I have is a K6-II 350 with 128Mb of RAM. It doesn't
> > have any disk (that got cannibalised for something else). It's
> > currently in a 10-year-old full tower case, but I have a spare mini
> > tower somewhere I think, but we're not talking 1U here.
> >
> > I'm not sure if that machine, with the addition of a random disk,
> > would be able to take the load. [...]
>
> Can I have a decision ? If you don't want it I have another potential
> home, and I want to get it out of the way.

FWIW a full tower is impractical as the machine will be going in a rack.

If there's no other possibility of a machine I can probably offer a 1U
Celeron 500 - it needs ram and disk though.

J.

--
/-\ | 101 things you can't have too much
|@/ Debian GNU/Linux Developer | of : 49 - Bandwidth.
\- |

From: Ian Jackson <ijackson(at)chiark(dot)greenend(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Jonathan McDowell <noodles(at)earth(dot)li>
Cc: spi-general(at)lists(dot)spi-inc(dot)org, board(at)spi-inc(dot)org
Date: 2003-03-13 01:00:35
Lists: spi-general

Jonathan McDowell writes ("Re: Status of purcel"):
> FWIW a full tower is impractical as the machine will be going in a rack.

Quite so. Even a mini tower would be much less than ideal.

Ian.